Since 1990 the museum has been housed in the 18th century former College of the Jesuits designed by the Bolognese architect Alfonso Torregiani.
There are at present over 40 rooms containing approximately 1500 works of art. The Roman epigraphic section in the courtyard gardené contains about a hundred lapidary inscriptions dating from between the first century B.C. and the fourth century A.D.
From May 2003 onwards, on the ground floor, it's possible to visit the first room of the Archaeological Section of the Museum, in which you can find traces of the imperial period in Rimini beteween II and III century. The main attractions of this Museum are: "Domus del Chirurgo" (House of the Surgeon) an archaeological site which amazes for its collection of medical instruments and Diotallevi Palace's domus, famous for its fabulous mosaic.
On the groud floor there is also a permanent section dedicated to the artist from Rimini, René Gruau. A monumental eighteenth century staircase leads to an art gallery housed on the first and second floors, where paintings are arranged chronologically fron the eleventh century to the twentieth. The collection includes masterpieces from the fourteenth century Rimini school, paintings commissioned by the Malatesta Court, and original pieces by local seventeenth century artists.
Free entry on Wednesday and every first Sunday of the month
partially accessible to disabled guests or with difficult independent accessibility
How to get to the city center:
by car: Motorway A14 "Rimini Sud" Exit; straight ahead direction Rimini centro for about 3 km.
by train: from the railway station straight ahead (v.le Dante)
by air: bus n.9 - bus stop Arco d' Augusto or Railway Station
Useful parking areas:
P1 p.zza Malatesta
P3 Rocca Malatestiana
P4 p.zza Ferrari
P8 Ponte di Tiberio
P21 Olga Bondi
P2 largo Gramsci
Opening hoursOpening period: open all year round
Entrance: fee payable
|from 09:30 to 13:00||from 16:00 to 19:00|
|Sunday||from 10:00 to 19:00|
|Bank holidays||from 10:00 to 19:00|