The ancient Olivetan abbey on the hills of Covignano, one of the treasures of culture and art in the Rimini area that is now the parish church of St. Fortunato, has been restored to house the museum. The wealth of the complex that also includes the church, built by Carlo Malatesta in 1418, the Episcopal seminary and the diocesan library, is so outstanding it has been described as “one of the most important places of art and history in the Province of Rimini”. The four rooms, each decorated in a different colour, contain important vestiges of the past, including the original fifteenth-century bell, ancient church vestments, items that once belonged to the Olivetan monks, silverware and parchments. One of the most important items is the illuminated page of a fifteenth-century choir book.
It is curious to think that the word “scolca” means vedetta.
For visits it is advisable to call in advance.
how to get there: on the SS 16 Adriatica main road, at the junction for Covignano continue for about 2 km inland
Opening hoursOpening period: open all year round