Routes and tours

Itinerary of the sights of the town

Rimini - Centro storico

A historical outline of the town
Rimini was founded by the Romans as a colony of Latin Law in 268 B.C. on a pre-existent site built between the Ausa and the Marecchia river as a little port - centre and road junction. It rose to Municipium and was enrolled in the Aniense tribe in 90 B.C.
In 359 A.D. it was the seat of a council summoned by the Emperor Costanzo II. In the 6th century it took part in the marine Byzantine five-towns alliance before falling into the hands of the Longobards. From the 8th century it belonged to the Church territory.
In 1157 its municipal autonomy was recognized by Frederick Barbarossa and by the Pope. It was Malatestas’ dominion from the late 1200’s to the 16th century, then it belonged to Cesare Borgia and then to the Venetians. In 1509 the ecclesiastical jurisdiction returned to power until 1860 when it ended by public vote.
This ratified the annexation of the town and of its territory to the Kingdom of Italy.

San Giuliano’s Church (San Giuliano borrough)
It was already a Bendectine Church, well-known in the 9th century. It has an altar which was built by Paolo Veronese (1588) and a polyptych by Bittino da Faenza (1409) in the third chapel on the left.

Gervasona Gate and Malatestas’ boundary walls (via Madonna della Scala)
The gate dates back to 1733, but the boundary walls which are next to it surrounded the Borgo S. Giuliano which dates back to the 15th century.

Madonna della Scala Church (via Madonna della Scala)
Built in 1611 and restored several more times. Above the altar there is a picture of Our Lady by the artist Alessandro Codrini in 1608.

Medieval Walls (via Bastioni Settentrionali)
They wewe built in the 12th – 13th century, but restored thereafter many more times particularly in the 15th century.

Francesca’s Arch (via Bastioni Settentrionali)
It is the popular name of the Gothic Arch which was the town gate close to the Marecchia, the only medieval gate still existing today, in spite of being partially buried. In the 15th century it was known as the Galliana Gate.

Tiberio’s Bridge (at the North side of Corso d’Augusto)
Built on the Marecchia river on the initiative of  Augustus, it was completed by Tiberius (14 – 21 A.D.). It is made of Istria stone and it has five barrel vaults.
It marks the beginning of the Emilia road.

Briolini Palace (Corso d’Augusto)
Built between 1508 and 1510 by Monticolis. It underwent a lot of changes, later it was seriously damaged by the war.

Santa Maria ad Nives Church (Corso d’Augusto)
Originally it was annexed to the ancient hospital. It was rebuilt in the 18th century and restored in 1987.

Dei Servi Church (Corso d’Augusto)
It dates backto the 13th century and was rebuilt between 1775 and 1780; it was designed by Gaetano Stegani and has stuccoes by Antonio Trentanove.

Garampi Palace (Cavour square)
Here resides the Mayor and municipality. Rebuilt in 1687 by Francesco Garampi, from whom it has its actual name.

Arengo Palace and Podesta’ Palace (Cavour square)
Built in the 13th century and inthe 14th century rispectively, they were restored in 1924.

Statue of Paolo V (Cavour square)
Built by local citizens as a token of their gratitude, in 1614. The bronze statue is the work of Nicolò Cordier and Sebastiano Sebastiani. During the French invasion it was disguised as the statue of San Gaudenzo, who was a bishop and a martyr, the patron saint of the town. It was restored in 1940.

Old Fish Market and Fountain (Cavour square)
The fish market was built on behalf of the Commune and designed by Giovan Francesco Buonamici in 1747. The fountain is perhaps originally from the Roman era but its present shape dates back to the middle age. It was restored in 16th century and in summer 2002.

Amintore Galli Theatre (Cavour square)
Built according to Poletti’s plan between 1843 and 1856. It was inaugurated in 1857 with Giuseppe Verdi’s “Aroldo”. Destroyed by the war, the beautiful neo-classical front, with its foyer and the superior “Ressi Hall” are the remains left behind today.

Malatestas’ Fortress or Castel Sismondo (Malatesta square)
It is a stronghold palace built between 1437 and 1446 by Sigismondo Malatesta , who wanted tocall it Sigismund Castle. All that remains is the inner nucleus, since bulwarks and moats were destroyed in the 19th century.

Santa Colomba Bell Tower (Malatesta square)
It dates back to the 13th century. It is what is left of the ancient cathedral of Rimini, destroyed in the early 1800’s.

Gambalunga Palace (n.27 via Gambalunga)
Alessandro Gambalunga had it built in 1610. Later he bequeathed it to the Commune and the library in 1619. It is one of the most ancient and important public libraries in Italy.

The City Museum (n.1 via Tonini)
Recently has moved inside the building which was the Jesuits’ College, built by Alfonso Torreggiani in 1749. It holds the archaeological and artistical collections of the town which are particularly rich in Roman Mosaics, Reinassance and Baroque paintings.

Crocina’s Oratory – (via Francolini)
An ancient parish church called “Ancient Cross” founded in the 6th century. Rebuilt in 1713, it was seriously damaged by the war.

Malatestas’ Temple (via IV Novembre)
Franciscan Church rebuilt and enlarged by Sigismondo Malatesta between 1446 and 1460, but it was left unfinished. The external structure is by Leon Battista Alberti. Inside there are sculptures belonging to Agostino di Duccio, a painted crucifix by Giotto and an altar-piece by Giorgio Vasari. From 1809 it has been Rimini’s Cathedral.

Montanara Gate (via Garibaldi - Borgo Sant'Andrea)
Situated at the bottom of the ancient road (nowadays via Garibaldi), it consisted of two barrel-vaults. It dates back to the era of Silla. It was semi-destroyed during the last war, but the remaining barrel-vault has been recovered and reconstructed temporarily on this site.
In 2004 has begun replacement of the gate at its original place.

Ripa Palace (corso d’Augusto)
The front face is Giovanni Benedettini’s work (1850).

Tingoli Palace (corso d’Augusto)
It dates back to the 18th century; almost completely rebuilt after the destructions during the war. It belongs to the Credito Italiano Bank.

Giovannini Palace – already known as Gomma Palace (Corso d’Augusto)
The front face is Giovanni Benedettini’s work (1864).

The Clock Tower (Tre Martiri square)
Erected in 1547 and rebuilt in 1753, designed by Giovan Francesco Buonamici, an architect from Rimini. There are two clock-faces: one is the traditional type and the other indicates days, months and lunations.

Paolotti Church (Tre Martiri square)
Rebuilt in 1963. It is decorated with frescoes by Achille Funi and his pupils. (1963 – 1964).

Sant’Antonio little Temple (Tre Martiri square)
A sixteenth-century structure, rebuilt almost entirely after the earthquake in 1672. It commemorates the Miracle of the (she) mule. It took place in this square by St. Antonio, who came from Padova.

Giulio Cesare Pillar (Tre Martiri square)
A 16th century pillar which supported a stone during the last world war. Traditionally shown as the pulpit where Cesare addressed his troops after the Rubicon crossing.

The Arcade of the Tre Martiri square
This square, ancient forum of the Roman town, has always had some arcades. The present one exists on the upriverside, partially Medieval.

Sant’Agostino Church (via Cairoli)
Built in the 13th  century by the Augustinians, given the name Saint Giovanni Evangelista and renovated in the 18th century thanks to the good work of Bolognese artists. In the apse and in the chapel of the bell-tower it shows important pictorial cycles of Rimini’s 14th century school.

San Gaudenzo Church (Mazzini square)
Founded in 1856 and rebuilt in the post-war period. An ancient sanctuary (completely destroyed in the early 1800’s ) which carries its Patron Saint’s name who is also the Patron Saint of the town.

San Bernardino Church (via Bertola – via S. Bernardino)
Built 1759, designed by Giovan Francesco Buonamici. This was his last construction. On the outside there are plaster statues by Carlo Sarti, inside there are remarkable paintings by Donato Creti.

Buonadrata Palace (62 Corso d’Augusto)
This belongs to the Cassa di Risparmio Bank. The front face dates back to the early 1800’s.

Santa Croce Church (via Serpieri)
Built by Saint Cross’ Fraternity in 1625, enlarged and decorated with stuccoes by Carlo Sarti and paintings by Giovanni Battista Costa in the following century.

Augustus’ Arch (Corso d’Augusto – South side)
The “honorary“ town gate, built in 27 B.C. by order of the Roman Senate to commemorate the repairs of the main Italian street thanks to Octavian Augustus. It marks the conclusionof the Flaminia road.

San Giovanni Battista Church (via XX Settembre)
It already existed in the 21th century but was rebuilt totally in 1767 by the Carmelites. In the first chapel on the left side there is a remarkable altar-piece by Guido Cagnacci representing Our Lady, the Virgin Mary, with the child and the Three Carmelites Saints.

Ghetti Palace (via XX Settembre)
Built in 1857 by the designer Giovanni Benedettini.

Santa Rita Church (Gramsci square)
Originally it was dedicated to Saint Marino, then to Saint Bartholomeo and Saint Marino. It is a sixteenth century building and it has a apse with frescoes and paintings by Giorgio Picchi (1595) and a beautiful inlaid choir made in wood in 1494.

The Roman Anfitheatre (via Vezia – via Roma)
Built in the second century A.D. just beyond the town gates and nearby the seashore. The ruins are what is left behind today, although parlty excavated. Its arena, 74 metres long and 45 metres large, was as wide as the Roman Coliseum.

Contact details

Phone: (+39) 0541 56902 - [email protected]
Itinerary of the sights of the town

44.0593777; 12.568669155819716

Form feedback

We want to know your opinion?
Do you like this site? Have you found an error? Fill in the form with your comments
Last update: 16/03/2017
Add your favourite sites to your personal itinerary