As it is crossed by the road leading pilgrims to Loreto, there are many churches dedicated to Our Lady in the Conca valley. In Montegridolfo, in the church built next to the pilgrims’ hospital, superimposed frescoes have been recovered that give an insight into the cult of the Virgin. In the same area, in the village of Trebbio, is the Marian Sanctuary of the Beata Vergine delle Grazie whose origins are linked to the apparition of Our Lady to two farmers in 1548.
The Marecchia valley also has a wealth of churches dedicated to Mary. In the Sanctuary of Madonna delle Grazie in Pennabilli, a 15th-century image of the Madonna is venerated in the Augustinian church; it became associated to miraculous events for the first time on the third Friday of March 1489 when it shed tears.
In Maciano near Pennabilli another apparition of Our Lady was recorded in 1523. As a result, a magnificent Renaissance church dedicated to Our Lady of the Olive was built there and entrusted in 1552 to the Observant Franciscans, who built a monastery next to it.
The other churches dedicated to Our Lady in the Montefeltro area include the cemetery cella in Talamello dating from 1437 and with frescoes by Ferrara-born artist Antonio Alberti, and the church of Santa Maria di Antico, built in Maiolo by Counts Oliva di Piagnano in the mid-15th century. It has an original portal and a glazed earthenware Madonna with Child in the presbytery by either Andrea della Robbia or his son Luca. There are Marian sanctuaries in Sant’Agata Feltria too; one in the Capuchin monastery and the other dedicated to Our Lady of Succour.